Sunday, October 13, 2013

Chapter 3&5 overview

During this learning module I learned about drug use along with the law, and also how the drugs work. I learned about the Pure food and Drug Act on 1906, it wasn't the strongest of acts, but it required manufactures to write on the label about how much alcohol and drugs are in each product and this led to OTC drugs that passed the federal food, drug, and cosmetic Act in 1938. Also the demand reduction aimed to reduce the overall demand for drugs by working with kids and teaching them the negatives about drugs. In chapter five, I learned about the placebo effect. Placebo means " I shall please" in Latin. A placebo substance can have a very powerful outcome on a person. There are two kinds of drug dependencies, psychical and psychological. Psychical is when you keep depending on the drug and when you don't have the drug you will feel the complete opposite through the withdrawal stages. Where psychological is a feeling of satisfaction and it creates a positive effect on your brain, like your living in a utopia.
Prior to learning this content two terms that I didn't know or I wasn't clear about would be pharmacokinetics, and Thalidomide.

Pharmacokinetics: The study of factors that influence the distribution and concentration of drugs in the body.-- depending on how the drug is formed depends on how fast the drug enters the blood stream.

Thalidomide: A sedative drug that, when used during pregnancy, can cause severe development damage to a fetus. -- Using this drug can cause your baby to have impaired development with arms or legs, this is known as phocomelia.

In this learning module I feel like I did better than last week. I posted my question on time and I feel like I'm doing better with responding to peoples questions in the discussion area. I do feel like I put in the time and effort into this module but there is always room for improvement. I'm still working on how to correctly post a question for the discussions, and I feel like I will get the hang of it next time, I just need to put in more time and effort. But other than that I feel like I'm doing a good job!

No comments:

Post a Comment