Sunday, October 27, 2013

Drugs and Society 6,7,8

Throughout chapters six, seven, and eight I learned that majority of people who abuse CNS depressants are already dependent on other drugs. They combine depressants with alcohol and heroin, and if you keep using the CNS depressants you can build a tolerance and it will lead to dependence. I also learned that alcohol is the most commonly used drug in the world. I enjoyed reading these chapters and coming to the conclusion of how opinionated people are about the use of alcohol, weather its including teens and under age drinking or different stereotypes with drinking involving culture beliefs. I learned peoples opinions on underage drinking and the drinking age during the discussion period! I find the statics interesting that 75% of students who consume alcohol, 50% of them have been drunk before they even graduate high school. I also learned how much of your body is really damaged when alcohol enters your body. Not only does it effect your liver and kidneys, but it also effects your endocrine system and cardiovascular system. There are so many different types of alcoholic's, I didn't think there are as many terms as there actually are... Its so much more complex to treat someone with alcoholism because of both physical withdrawal and denial.

New additions to my vocabulary!!

Diuretic: A drug or substance that increases the production of urine. -- I didn't know you can get dehydrated from alcohols diuretic action!

Alcoholic Cardiomyopathy: Congestive heart failure due to the replacement of heart muscle with a fat and fiber. -- This made me understand the heart failure process from drinking too much alcohol.


I feel like my questions are improving in this module but my grades are not. Maybe I don't fully understand how the discussion works. I really do put a lot of effort into the discussions but then I see the score I got and I get discouraged, and I don't want to do it anymore. As I said the past two weeks, I will continue to do my best and keep trying until I get it right!

No comments:

Post a Comment